News

“A community decision”
“Una decisión comunitaria”

New admissions process unveiled for middle, high schools
Nuevo proceso de admisión para las escuelas secundarias y preparatorias

“A community decision”

New admissions process unveiled for middle, high schools

By Gregg McQueen

The admissions policies will refocus on academic performance, according to the DOE.

Changes to the admission process for the 2023-24 school year — including an overhaul of its controversial high school admissions policy — have been announced by the New York City’s Department of Education (DOE).

At a press conference on September 29, Schools Chancellor David Banks said that, in an effort to focus more on academic performance, eighth graders with grades in the top 15 percent of their class or citywide will have priority for seats at the city’s most selective public high schools.

Seats not filled by those kids will open up to the next tier, composed of students with grades in the top 30 percent. There will be five tiers in total.

Chancellor David Banks announced changes to the admissions policies.

The high school change will affect about 100 public high schools that employ selective admissions criteria. There are no changes to the admission policy for the city’s eight specialized high schools, such as Bronx Science and Stuyvesant, where students must take the SHSAT to gain entrance.

Under the previous policy, implemented under Mayor Bill de Blasio, students needed a grade point average of at least 85 to be considered in the top tier for consideration to selective high schools. According to the DOE, approximately 60 percent of eighth graders qualified under the old rules.

“We are very pleased that Chancellor Banks has listened to parents,” said PLACE NYC’s Yiatin Chu.

“We are not eliminating screens. The previous administration sought to take these opportunities away,” remarked Banks, who said the changes were implemented after engagement with public school families. “I have heard overwhelmingly across the city, parents have asked us to increase opportunity, not take it away.”

About 20 percent of students would qualify for the top tier under the new policy, said Sarah Kleinhandler, Chief Enrollment Officer at the DOE.

Banks said it was important to reward students who achieve academic success.

The high school change will affect about 100 public high schools that employ selective admissions criteria.

“If a young person is working their tail off every single day and they get a 99 average and they’re seeking to go into one of these screened schools, that ought to be honored,” he said.

Changes are also in store for the city’s middle school admissions process — for the first time since the pandemic began, middle schools will be permitted to screen students based on grades and other criteria such as attendance.

District superintendents will collaborate with community members by October 26 to determine which selective admissions criteria would be used to screen middle school applicants, Banks said.

Eighth graders in the top 15 percent of their class will have priority for selective high schools.

“In the end, this is a community decision that will be led by the community,” he said.

The application windows for middle and high school admissions are being moved earlier in the fall so that offers can be released in March for high schools and in April for middle schools. This timeline will give families and schools more time to plan for the next school year, the DOE said.

Applications open on October 12 for high schools and October 26 for middle schools. The deadline to apply is December 1.

Applications open on October 12 for high schools and October 26 for middle schools.

The DOE also announced that three new accelerated-learning high schools will be coming to the South Bronx, Southeast Queens, and the Ocean Hill-Brownsville section of Brooklyn.

Some city officials and advocates criticized the DOE’s revamped admissions process, pointing out that access to selective schools improved for Black, Latino, and low-income students during the pandemic, when screening was halted.

“We saw earlier in the pandemic that removing screens opens up access equity, and while the new framework for high school admissions is an improvement on earlier iterations of screening policies, it represents a regression from the access afforded as recently as last year,” said Public Advocate Jumaane Williams.

Restoring screens will reinforce school segregation, said Public Advocate Jumaane Williams.

“Restoring middle-school screens will reinforce segregation in our schools. It elevates the notion that some children deserve “good schools” while the vast majority do not,” said City Comptroller Brad Lander in a statement. “The Chancellor said this morning, ‘If you’re working hard and you’re making the grade you should not be thrown into a lottery with just everybody.’ But we are talking here about eight- and nine-year-old kids. Every single one deserves the best education we can provide.”

Lander pointed out that children “are still emerging from the trauma of the pandemic.”

“This should be a year that’s about helping our students heal and grow together — not about competition to divide them,” he said.

New York Appleseed, an advocacy group for integrated schools, issued a letter to the DOE on September 16 asking the city to end the use of admissions screens. Following Banks’ announcement, the group criticized the latest policy changes.

District superintendents are scheduled to collaborate with community members by October 26.

“There is no doubt that the allowance of the use of segregative middle-school screens, to be determined by a haphazard and truncated community engagement process, and the added layers of exclusivity to screened high-school programs, will result in less access to highly sought-after schools for NYC’s most marginalized students,” New York Appleseed said in a statement. “Competitive admission methods that are built on the premise of exclusivity have no place in public school systems that are meant to serve all students.”

Some parents, however, embraced the new procedures, including the group Parent Leaders for Accelerated Curriculum & Education (PLACE) NYC, which lauded the DOE.

“We formed PLACE NYC to advocate for academic rigor and merit in our schools,” said PLACE NYC Founding Co-President Yiatin Chu. “We are very pleased that Chancellor Banks has listened to parents and made significant improvements from last year’s admissions process.”

On its website, the group wrote that “no student should ever have to rely on random luck or engage in a fight to receive their appropriate education.”

“We call on the DOE to also focus on improving academic outcomes of all students starting at elementary school,” the group said, “while continuing to create accelerated opportunities in every school at every grade, and increase the number of schools with an accelerated model.”

For more, please visit schools.nyc.gov

“Una decisión comunitaria”

Nuevo proceso de admisión para las escuelas secundarias y preparatorias

Por Gregg McQueen

Las políticas de admisión volverán a enfocarse en el rendimiento académico, según el DOE.

El Departamento de Educación de la ciudad de Nueva York (DOE, por sus siglas en inglés) ha anunciado cambios en el proceso de admisión para el año escolar 2023-2024, incluyendo una revisión de su controvertida política de admisión a la enseñanza preparatoria.

En una conferencia de prensa celebrada el 29 de septiembre, el canciller de escuelas, David Banks, dijo que, en un esfuerzo por enfocarse más en el rendimiento académico, los alumnos de octavo grado con calificaciones en el 15 por ciento superior de su clase o de toda la ciudad tendrán prioridad para los lugares en las escuelas preparatorias públicas más selectivas de la ciudad.

Los lugares que no sean ocupados por esos chicos se abrirán al siguiente nivel, compuesto por estudiantes con calificaciones en el 30 por ciento superior. Habrá cinco niveles en total.

El canciller David Banks anunció cambios en las políticas de admisión.

El cambio en las preparatorias afectará a unas 100 escuelas públicas que emplean criterios de admisión selectivos. No hay cambios en la política de admisión de los ocho institutos especializados de la ciudad, como Bronx Science y Stuyvesant, donde los estudiantes deben hacer el SHSAT para entrar.

Bajo la política previa, implementada bajo el alcalde Bill de Blasio, los estudiantes necesitaban un promedio de notas de al menos 85 para estar en el nivel superior para ser considerados en las escuelas secundarias selectivas. Según el DOE, aproximadamente el 60 por ciento de los estudiantes de octavo grado se clasificaban bajo las antiguas reglas.

“Estamos muy contentos de que el canciller Banks haya escuchado a los padres”, dijo Yiatin Chu, de PLACE NYC.

“No estamos eliminando los exámenes. La administración anterior trató de quitar estas oportunidades”, comentó Banks, explicando que los cambios se implementaron después de involucrar a las familias de las escuelas públicas. “He escuchado de manera abrumador a los padres en toda la ciudad, quienes nos han pedido que aumentemos las oportunidades, no que las quitemos”.

Alrededor del 20% de los estudiantes podrían optar al nivel superior con la nueva política, dijo Sarah Kleinhandler, directora de Inscripciones del DOE.

Banks dijo que es importante recompensar a los estudiantes que logran el éxito académico.

“Si un joven se esfuerza al máximo cada día y obtiene un promedio de 99 y busca entrar en una de estas escuelas seleccionadas, eso debe ser recompensado”, comentó.

El cambio en las preparatorias afectará a unas 100 escuelas públicas que emplean criterios de admisión selectivos.

También se prevén cambios en el proceso de admisión en las escuelas secundarias de la ciudad: por primera vez desde que comenzó la pandemia, las secundarias podrán seleccionar a los alumnos en función de sus notas y otros criterios, como la asistencia.

Los superintendentes del distrito colaborarán con los miembros de la comunidad antes del 26 de octubre para determinar qué criterios de admisión selectiva se utilizarán para examinar a los solicitantes de las escuelas secundarias, dijo Banks.

“Al final, esta es una decisión de la comunidad que será dirigida por la comunidad”, dijo.

Los alumnos de octavo grado que se encuentren en el 15% más alto de su clase tendrán prioridad para las preparatorias selectivas.

Los plazos de solicitud de admisión en las escuelas secundarias y preparatorias se adelantan al otoño para que las ofertas puedan publicarse en marzo -en el caso de las preparatorias- y en abril -en el caso de las secundarias-. Este calendario dará a las familias y a las escuelas más tiempo para planificar el próximo año escolar, dijo el DOE.

Las solicitudes se abren el 12 de octubre para las preparatorias y el 26 de octubre para las secundarias. La fecha límite para enviar la solicitud es el 1 de diciembre.

Las solicitudes se abren el 12 de octubre para las preparatorias y el 26 de octubre para las secundarias.

El DOE también anunció que tres nuevas preparatorias de aprendizaje acelerado llegarán al sur del Bronx, al sureste de Queens y a la sección Ocean Hill-Brownsville de Brooklyn.

Algunos funcionarios y defensores de la ciudad criticaron el renovado proceso de admisión del DOE, señalando que el acceso a las escuelas selectivas mejoró para los estudiantes negros, latinos y de bajos ingresos durante la pandemia, cuando se detuvo la selección.

l restablecimiento de los filtros reforzará la segregación escolar, dijo el defensor del pueblo, Jumaane Williams.

“Ya vimos en la pandemia que la eliminación de las pruebas de selección abre la equidad en el acceso, y aunque el nuevo marco para las admisiones en la preparatoria es una mejora respecto a las versiones anteriores de las políticas de selección, también representa una regresión en cuanto al acceso ofrecido tan recientemente como el año pasado”, dijo el defensor público Jumaane Williams.

“El restablecimiento de la selección en la secundaria reforzará la segregación en nuestras escuelas. Se eleva la noción de que alguno

s niños merecen buenas escuelas, mientras que la gran mayoría no”, dijo el contralor de la ciudad, Brad Lander, en un comunicado. “El canciller ha dicho esta mañana: si se esfuerzan y dan la talla no deberían ser arrojados a una lotería con todo el mundo. Pero estamos hablando de niños de ocho y nueve años. Todos y cada uno de ellos merecen la mejor educación que podamos ofrecerles”.

Está previsto que los superintendentes de distrito colaboren con los miembros de la comunidad antes del 26 de octubre.

Lander señaló que los niños “siguen saliendo del trauma de la pandemia”.

“Este debe ser un año que sirva para ayudar a nuestros alumnos a recuperarse y crecer juntos, no para competir y dividirlos”, dijo.

New York Appleseed, un grupo de defensa de las escuelas integradas, emitió una carta al DOE el 16 de septiembre en la que pedía a la ciudad poner fin al uso de los filtros de admisión. Tras el anuncio de Banks, el grupo criticó los últimos cambios de política.

“No hay duda de que la autorización del uso de filtros segregativos en las secundarias, que se determinarán mediante un proceso de participación comunitaria azaroso y truncado, y las capas añadidas de exclusividad a los programas de preparatorias seleccionadas, resultarán en un menor acceso a las escuelas más solicitadas para los estudiantes más marginados de la ciudad de Nueva York”, dijo New York Appleseed en un comunicado. “Los métodos de admisión competitivos, basados en la premisa de la exclusividad no tienen cabida en los sistemas escolares públicos que están destinados a servir a todos los estudiantes”.

Algunos padres, sin embargo, recibieron con agrado los nuevos procedimientos, incluido el grupo Parent Leaders for Accelerated Curriculum & Education (PLACE) NYC, que elogió al DOE.

“Formamos PLACE NYC para abogar por el rigor académico y el mérito en nuestras escuelas”, dijo la copresidenta fundadora de PLACE NYC, Yiatin Chu. “Estamos muy contentos de que el canciller Banks haya escuchado a los padres y haya hecho mejoras significativas con respecto al proceso de admisión del año pasado”.

En su sitio web, el grupo escribió que “ningún estudiante debería tener que depender de la suerte al azar o de participar en una lucha para recibir una educación adecuada”.

“Hacemos un llamado al DOE para que también se concentre en mejorar los resultados académicos de todos los estudiantes comenzando en la escuela primaria”, dijo el grupo, “mientras continúa creando oportunidades aceleradas en cada escuela, en cada grado, y aumenta el número de escuelas con un modelo acelerado”.

Para más información, por favor visite schools.nyc.gov.

Related Articles

Check Also
Close
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker