CommunityHousingNewsPublic SafetySocial Justice

“We are not disposable”
“No somos desechables”

“We are not disposable”

New lawsuits filed on behalf of Bronx fire victims

By Gregg McQueen


“The fire has torn this community apart,” said resident Rokiah Touray.

Fatima Jannah lost her sister Sera in the devastating fire that ravaged the Twin Parks North West apartment complex on January 9th.

Jannah, who also lived in the building, said tenants continue to struggle with the tragedy’s aftermath more than a month later.

“My family has been displaced. The whole process has been very, very heartbreaking,” said Jannah.

She and her family, together with other impacted residents, are now seeking accountability.

“We need justice for the families,” said Jannah.

A series of new lawsuits have been filed on behalf of victims of the horrific fire last month. The January 9 blaze killed 17 people, including eight children.

Spearheaded by civil rights attorney Ben Crump, along with co-counsel Weitz & Luxenberg, the lawsuits allege that the negligence related to safety conditions led to wrongful death and injury.

The lawsuits were filed in Bronx County Supreme Court on February 8.

The press conference was held by the apartment complex.

At a press conference outside of the building that day, Crump said that safety violations caused “unspeakable loss of life and injuries” to residents.

Affected families, many of whom are immigrants from Africa, “seemed to be marginalized not only before the tragic fire broke out, but in the aftermath,” Crump said.

“Their lives matter,” he remarked.

The lawsuits name management companies and investment groups that own the building, including Bronx Park Phase III Preservation LLC, Lich Investment Group, and Belveron Partners Fund.

Currently, the suits do not name the city as a defendant.

The building had faulty self-closing doors, malfunctioning windows, and a lack of heat, all of which contributed to the tragedy, attorneys claimed.

Jared Lacertosa, an attorney with Weitz & Luxenberg, said building owners violated city fire codes related to self-closing doors and functioning windows.

“Those laws were created for a reason. As a matter of fact, the self-closing door statute was passed by the New York City Council in response to another fire here in the Bronx in 2017,” Lacertosa said.

According to the FDNY, the blaze was ignited by a faulty space heater, which a third-floor resident kept operating due to poor heating in his apartment.

“We need justice for the families,” said resident Fatima Jannah.

“People were desperate in the cold of winter to get heat,” Crump said.

He noted that some residents are still hospitalized, and many are still living in a hotel.

“They are homeless because someone didn’t follow the safety rules,” Crump said. “Many of them have received no counseling for the psychological tragedy that their children have been taken from them.”

“My mother and sister were trapped in the building when the fire started,” said Rokia Touray. “My cousin passed away. I lost countless friends.”

Apartments on the floor where the fire started were severely damaged, said Touray, who expressed frustration that displaced tenants have not been provided with permanent housing by the city.

“They said they are helping us, but I feel there is so much red tape,” she said. It’s very frustrating to have to live in a hotel for 30 days. It’s already hard to find an apartment in New York City.”

Fatiah Touray, who lived in the building for 23 years, said the tenants are mostly Black and brown “working class people.”

“We are not disposable,” she said. “Just because we have a certain socioeconomic status, doesn’t mean that our lives don’t matter.”

Court documents did not specify a monetary amount of damages the plaintiffs are seeking, and Crump declined to provide one when asked by reporters.

“What would you ask for if this was your loved one?” he remarked. “What we want is the greatest recovery to send a message to these corporations that you cannot put profits over safety.”

“We are seeking equal justice,” he said.

The suits were filed on behalf of 19 individuals, representing six families in the building, the latest legal actions filed in relation to the fire.

The first was a class action lawsuit filed two days after the fire, seeking $1 billion in damages on behalf of residents. In January, two additional suits were filed on behalf of individual tenants.

A memorial for the victims has been established outside the building.

James Yolles, a spokesperson for the building’s owners, said in a statement that property managers were not at fault.

“The complaints filed today allege that last month’s tragic fire was caused by the negligence of the building’s owners and their agents. We believe the facts will show that allegation to be false,” the statement said.

Attorneys said they will commence an investigation of safety conditions in the building.

“We’ll demand testimony, we’ll demand written records, records of inspection,” Lacertosa said.

“We need to ask questions of the Fire Department, we need to ask questions of the city officials, why these safety rules were not followed,” added Crump.

For Rokia Touray and other tenants, things will never be the same, regardless of the outcome of the lawsuits.

“The fire has torn this community apart. It will never be the same,” she said. “Nobody wants to come back to this building.”



“No somos desechables”

Nuevas demandas presentadas en nombre de las víctimas del incendio del Bronx

Por Gregg McQueen


“El fuego ha destrozado esta comunidad”, dijo el residente Rokiah Touray.

Fátima Jannah perdió a su hermana Sera en el devastador incendio que devastó el complejo de apartamentos Twin Parks North West el 9 de enero.

Jannah, que también vivía en el edificio, dijo que los inquilinos continúan luchando con las secuelas de la tragedia más de un mes después.

“Mi familia ha sido desplazada. Todo el proceso ha sido muy, muy desgarrador”, dijo Jannah.

Ella y su familia, junto con otros residentes afectados, ahora buscan responsabilidad.

“Necesitamos justicia para las familias”, dijo Jannah.

Se han presentado una serie de nuevas demandas en nombre de las víctimas del horrible incendio del mes pasado. El incendio del 9 de enero mató a 17 personas, incluidos ocho niños.

Encabezadas por el abogado de derechos civiles Ben Crump, junto con el abogado adjunto Weitz & Luxenberg, las demandas alegan que la negligencia relacionada con las condiciones de seguridad condujo a muerte por negligencia y lesiones.

Las demandas se presentaron en la Corte Suprema del condado del Bronx el 8 de febrero.

La conferencia de prensa fue realizada frente al complejo de apartamentos.

En una conferencia de prensa afuera del edificio ese día, Crump dijo que las violaciones de seguridad causaron “pérdida de vidas y lesiones indescriptibles” a los residentes.

Las familias afectadas, muchas de las cuales son inmigrantes de África, “parecían estar marginadas no solo antes de que estallara el trágico incendio, sino también después”, dijo Crump.

“Sus vidas importan”, comentó.

Las demandas nombran a las empresas de gestión y los grupos de inversión que son propietarios del edificio, incluidos Bronx Park Phase III Preservation LLC, Lich Investment Group y Belveron Partners Fund.

Actualmente, las demandas no nombran a la ciudad como demandada.

El edificio tenía puertas defectuosas de cierre automático, ventanas que no funcionaban bien y falta de calefacción, todo lo cual contribuyó a la tragedia, afirmaron los abogados.

Jared Lacertosa, abogado de Weitz & Luxenberg, dijo que los propietarios de edificios violaron los códigos de incendios de la ciudad relacionados con puertas que cierran automáticamente y ventanas funcionales.

“Necesitamos justicia para las familias”, dijo la residente Fatima Jannah.

“Esas leyes fueron creadas por una razón. De hecho, el ayuntamiento de la ciudad de Nueva York aprobó el estatuto de puerta de cierre automático en respuesta a otro incendio aquí en el Bronx en 2017”, dijo Lacertosa.

Según el FDNY, el incendio fue provocado por un calentador ambiental defectuoso, que un residente del tercer piso mantuvo en funcionamiento debido a la mala calefacción de su apartamento.

“La gente estaba desesperada en el frío del invierno por tener calefacción”, dijo Crump.

Señaló que algunos residentes aún están hospitalizados y muchos todavía viven en un hotel.

“Están sin hogar porque alguien no siguió las reglas de seguridad”, dijo Crump. “Muchos de ellos no han recibido consejería por la tragedia psicológica de que sus hijos les fueran arrebatados”.

“Mi madre y mi hermana quedaron atrapadas en el edificio cuando comenzó el incendio”, dijo Rokia Touray. “Mi prima falleció. Perdí innumerables amigos”.

Los apartamentos en el piso donde comenzó el incendio sufrieron graves daños, dijo Touray, expresando su frustración porque la ciudad no ha proporcionado viviendas permanentes a los inquilinos desplazados.

“Dijeron que nos están ayudando, pero siento que hay mucha burocracia”, explicó. Es muy frustrante tener que vivir en un hotel durante 30 días. Ya es difícil encontrar un apartamento en la ciudad de Nueva York”.

Se ha establecido un monumento a las víctimas fuera del edificio.

Fatiah Touray, quien vivió en el edificio durante 23 años, dijo que los inquilinos son en su mayoría “personas de clase trabajadora” negras y morenas.

“No somos desechables”, dijo. “El hecho de que tengamos un cierto estatus socioeconómico no significa que nuestras vidas no importen”.

Los documentos judiciales no especificaron el monto monetario de los daños que buscan los demandantes, y Crump se negó a proporcionar uno cuando los periodistas le preguntaron.

“¿Qué pedirías si este fuera tu ser querido?”, comentó. “Lo que queremos es la mayor recuperación para enviar un mensaje a estas corporaciones de que no se pueden anteponer las ganancias a la seguridad”.

“Buscamos igualdad de justicia”, dijo.

Las demandas se presentaron en nombre de 19 personas, que representan a seis familias en el edificio, las más recientes acciones legales presentadas en relación con el incendio.

La primera fue una demanda colectiva presentada dos días después del incendio, en busca de mil millones de dólares en daños y perjuicios en nombre de los residentes. En enero, se presentaron dos demandas adicionales en nombre de inquilinos individuales.

James Yolles, portavoz de los propietarios del edificio, dijo en un comunicado que los administradores de la propiedad no tuvieron la culpa.

“Las denuncias presentadas hoy alegan que el trágico incendio del mes pasado fue causado por la negligencia de los propietarios del edificio y sus agentes. Creemos que los hechos demostrarán que la acusación es falsa”, dice el comunicado.

Los abogados dijeron que comenzarán una investigación sobre las condiciones de seguridad en el edificio.

“Exigiremos testimonios, registros escritos, registros de inspección”, dijo Lacertosa.

“Necesitamos hacer preguntas al Departamento de Bomberos, necesitamos hacer preguntas a los funcionarios de la ciudad respecto a por qué no se siguieron estas reglas de seguridad”, agregó Crump.

Para Rokia Touray y otros inquilinos, las cosas nunca volverán a ser iguales, independientemente del resultado de las demandas.

“El fuego ha destrozado esta comunidad. Nunca volverá a ser lo mismo”, dijo. “Nadie quiere volver a este edificio”.



Related Articles

Check Also
Close
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker