Radiator blast kills two Bronx toddlers
Una explosión de radiador mata a dos niñas del Bronx

  • English
  • Español

Radiator blast kills two Bronx toddlers

Ibanez Ambrose and  Scylee Vayoh Ambrose.

Ibanez Ambrose and Scylee Vayoh Ambrose.

Two young girls were killed in their Bronx apartment on Wednesday after suffering severe burns from a radiator blast while they were sleeping.

The children —1-year-old Scylee Vayoh Ambrose and 2-year-old Ibanez Ambrose — were rushed to the hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

The incident happened on Wednesday afternoon at 720 Hunts Point Avenue, after the children were put down for a nap by their parents.

Fire Department officials said a radiator cap apparently blew off, causing scalding hot steam to shoot out, severely burning the two girls.

Mayor Bill de Blasio called the deaths “a tragedy” and said the city is conducting a full investigation.

“We are in the preliminary stages of what is a highly active, multi-agency investigation into what happened in this home and whether there’s anything that can be done to help prevent such an unspeakable event in the future,” de Blasio said. “Our law enforcement, buildings, fire and social services personnel will not rest until we can answer what has given rise to this heartbreaking incident.”

The girls and their parents were living in one of five units in the 48-unit building being used as cluster-site housing for homeless families.

“We are devastated by this tragedy,” said Department of Social Services Commissioner Steven Banks. “We are investigating and taking steps to immediately transfer the four other families being sheltered at this location to another shelter.”

The building’s landlord, Moshe Pillar, was included on the city’s Worst Landlord List in 2015.

 Public Advocate Letitia James said the city should not renew cluster-site contracts with landlords on the list.

“No funds should be provided to landlords to house homeless families unless full floor-to-ceiling, building-wide inspections are conducted and reveal no hazardous conditions,” James said.

 

Una explosión de radiador mata a dos niñas del Bronx

Ibanez Ambrose and  Scylee Vayoh Ambrose.

Ibanez Ambrose y Scylee Vayoh Ambrose.

Dos niñas murieron mientras dormían en su apartamento del Bronx el miércoles, después de sufrir quemaduras graves por la explosión de un radiador.

Las niñas, Scylee Vayoh Ambrose -de 1 año de edad- e Ibanez Ambrose -de 2 años-, fueron llevadas al hospital, donde fueron declaradas muertas.

El incidente ocurrió el miércoles por la tarde en el No. 720 de la Avenida Hunts Point, después de que las niñas fueron puestas a dormir por sus padres.

Funcionarios del Departamento de Bomberos dijeron que una tapa del radiador aparentemente salió volando, causando que el vapor abrasador se disparara y quemara severamente a las dos niñas.

El alcalde Bill de Blasio calificó las muertes como “una tragedia” y dijo que la ciudad está llevando a cabo una investigación completa.

“Estamos en las etapas preliminares de lo que es una investigación altamente activa y entre diversas agencias para saber lo que pasó en esta casa y si hay algo que se pueda hacer para ayudar a prevenir un evento tan horrible en el futuro”, comentó de Blasio. “Nuestro personal de los Departamentos de Policía, Edificios, Bomberos y Servicios Sociales no descansará hasta que podamos responder a lo que ha dado lugar a este desgarrador incidente”.

Las niñas y sus padres vivían en una de las cinco unidades en el edificio de 48 unidades que se utilizaban como viviendas de grupo para familias sin hogar.

“Estamos devastados por esta tragedia”, dijo el comisionado del Departamento de Servicios Sociales, Steven Banks. “Estamos investigando y tomando medidas para trasladar inmediatamente a las otras cuatro familias resguardadas en este lugar a otro refugio”.

El propietario del edificio, Moshe Pillar, fue incluido en la lista de los peores propietarios de la ciudad en 2015.

La defensora pública Letitia James dijo que la ciudad no debería renovar los contratos de los sitios cuyos propietarios aparecen en la lista.

“No se deben proporcionar fondos a los propietarios para que alojen a familias sin hogar a menos que se lleven a cabo inspecciones completas de todo el edificio, del piso al techo, que revelen que no existen condiciones peligrosas”, dijo James.