BOE admits it broke law in voter purge
La Junta de Elecciones admite que violó la ley

  • English
  • Español

BOE admits it broke law in voter purge

More than 117,000 voters were purged.

More than 117,000 voters were purged.

The New York City Board of Elections (NYCBOE) is admitting it broke state and federal law when it improperly purged names from the voting rolls ahead of the 2016 presidential primary, WNYC Radio reported.

According to a draft consent decree announced on October 24, NYCBOE has agreed to a series of remedial measures. The settlement will restore improperly purged voters and create a plan to prevent illegal voter purges in the future.

After more than 117,000 Brooklyn voters were purged from the voting rolls in the primary election last September, NYCBOE was sued in federal court for violating the National Voter Registration Act and state election law.

The lawsuit was initiated in November 2016 by the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law, LatinoJustice PRLDEF and Dechert LLP on behalf of Common Cause New York and several other plaintiffs. The Justice Department and New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman’s office joined the lawsuit earlier this year.

New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

“The right to vote is sacred to our democracy. Yet the NYC Board of Elections illegally purged over 200,000 New Yorkers from the rolls, violating the law and New Yorkers’ trust in the institutions meant to protect their rights,” said Schneiderman in a statement.

“This proposed settlement would overhaul NYCBOE’s practices for maintaining voter rolls, ensuring that the issues that led to the purges are addressed, and establishing frequent monitoring and oversight. My office will continue to protect all voters’ access to the polls and continue to fight to expand voting rights,” he said.

Congresswoman Nydia M. Velázquez, whose district was heavily affected by the voter purge, also issued a statement on the consent decree, saying, “The right to vote is fundamental. Americans and especially minority communities have made profound sacrifices to secure the franchise.”

“I am pleased that the Board will be required to take steps to address this problem in the future,” she added. I will keep a close eye to ensure these steps are sufficient to prevent this situation from ever occurring again.”

The consent decree is pending court approval.

La Junta de Elecciones admite que violó la ley

The settlement will restore improperly removed voters.

El acuerdo restaurará a los votantes removidos indebidamente.

La Junta de Elecciones de la ciudad de Nueva York (NYCBOE, por sus siglas en inglés) admite que rompió las leyes estatales y federales cuando depuró los nombres de las listas de votación antes de las primarias presidenciales de 2016, según informó la radio WNYC.

De acuerdo con un proyecto de decreto de consentimiento anunciado el 24 de octubre, NYCBOE ha acordado una serie de medidas correctivas. El acuerdo restablecerá a los votantes indebidamente depurados y creará un plan para evitar las purgas ilegales de votantes en el futuro.

Después de que más de 117,000 votantes de Brooklyn fuesen depurados de las listas de votantes en las elecciones primarias del pasado septiembre, la NYCBOE fue demandada en una corte federal por violar la Ley de Registro Nacional de Votantes y la Ley Electoral Estatal.

New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

El Fiscal General del Estado de Nueva York, Eric Schneiderman.

La demanda fue iniciada en noviembre de 2016 por el Comité de Abogados de Derechos Civiles Bajo la Ley, Latino Justice PRLDEF y Dechert LLP en nombre de Common Cause Nueva York y varios otros demandantes. El Departamento de Justicia y la oficina del fiscal general del Estado de Nueva York, Eric Schneiderman, se unieron a la demanda a principios de este año.

“El derecho al voto es sagrado para nuestra democracia, s in embargo, la Junta de Elecciones de NYC purgó ilegalmente a más de 200,000 neoyorquinos de la lista, violando la ley y la confianza de los neoyorquinos en las instituciones destinadas a proteger sus derechos”, dijo Schneiderman en un comunicado.

“Este acuerdo propuesto revisará las prácticas de la NYCBOE para mantener los registros electorales, garantizará que se aborden los problemas que llevaron a las purgas y establecerá controles y supervisión frecuentes. Mi oficina seguirá protegiendo el acceso de todos los votantes a las urnas y continuará luchando para ampliar los derechos de voto”, dijo.

More than 117,000 voters were purged.

Más de 117,000 votantes fueron purgados.

La congresista Nydia M. Velázquez, cuyo distrito fue muy afectado por la purga de votantes, también emitió una declaración sobre el grado de consentimiento, diciendo que “el derecho al voto es fundamental. Los estadounidenses, y especialmente las comunidades minoritarias, han hecho grandes sacrificios para asegurar el derecho al voto”.

“Me complace que la Junta deba tomar medidas para abordar este problema en el futuro”, agregó. Mantendré una estrecha vigilancia para garantizar que estos pasos sean suficientes para evitar que esta situación vuelva a ocurrir”.

El decreto de consentimiento está pendiente de aprobación judicial.